Nov 9, 2011

Kidnapping and Life in a Harem

Before I came I asked my mom what her biggest fear about my going to Saudi Arabia would be. She said it was that I would be kidnapped and be made the fourth wife to some Sheik in a harem and never be heard from again. This was honestly the farthest thing from my mind (my biggest fear is a car accident considering the crazy driving here). So I thought I would tell you about my "kidnapping" and "life in a harem."

Of course another co-worker was dragged into it with me. We had to wear traditional Bedouin face coverings for the wedding.



Since we can't go out alone we four wives stick together everywhere we go.



This is my new husband. He's a bit old for me, but he's a sweetheart (despite the kidnapping).



When I'm not cooking and cleaning I like to lounge around on the plush pillows.



It's a primitive place with mud brick walls and wooden ceilings, but at least we have air conditioning.



Sometimes I like to climb the ladder and go upstairs to get some fresh air.



The one window I'm allowed to open is beautiful and ornate.



The tower is really tall and gives me a good view of the surrounding area.



The palace overlooks a nice square where the beheadings take place.



Unfortunately the palace is guarded by canons so I can't escape.



Sorry Mom, I guess I won't be home for a while but hey, life's not so bad . . . .



(OK - This is actually Masmak fortress in the old city of Riyadh. Many battles were fought here during the struggle to unify the country into what it is today. It made for an interesting afternoon outing for some of us teachers.)

1 comment:

VanDykes said...

Loved this post! It made me laugh so hard.